EATING DISORDER CARE PATHWAY
Click here to see our referral process (please link to referral process page in For people Experiencing Eating Distress section)
Initial consultation includes three fold multi-disciplinary assessments. Including physical, dietetic and mental health assessments.
There are 7 steps involved in treatment and consist of both group and individual sessions.
- Save lives – risk assessment.
- Engage the client in a supportive and therapeutic relationship.
- Correct medical abnormalities and manage clinical risk through liaison with GP/other clinicians.
- Tackle underlying problems and increase motivation for recovery.
- Correcting disordered thinking around issues of food, eating, and weight, self esteem and body
- Life skills/relapse prevention.
If the patient is underweight the primary goal will be to stabilise weight and manage risk.
(Please note: an individual may need more or less intensive treatment at different stages of recovery. This example will be a person centered and individualised and evidence based care package).
- PHASE 1 : INTERVENTIONS – BEHAVIOURAL & PHYSICAL (inc.dietetics and nutritional counselling)
- PHASE 2 : INTERVENTIONS – COGNITIIVE / EMOTIONAL / RELAPSE PREVENTION
- PHASE 3 : INTERVENTIONS – BODY IMAGE, SELF WORTH
Care Prescriptions: All treatment packages are in blocks of 12 weeks, and may be continued according to need.
GPs will hold medical responsibility for the patient and where possible the patient will engage with the GP and the practice nurse for physical reviews and any necessary blood tests and /or ECGs. Breathe will collaborate with the GP and other relevant members of the multi-disciplinary team in ensuring physical as well as psychological help is managed safely and effectively.
STEPPED CARE PATHWAY
Breathe Eating Disorder is proud to present our stepped care approach, working collaboratively with GP’s and our sister organisation Support and Education for Eating Disorders, for adults experiencing eating distress and requiring outpatient treatment.
Breathe’s service is in line with CQC regulations and is currently working towards accreditation for the Quality, Innovation, Productivity and Prevention programme. Within these standards, we aim to provide efficient and cost effective services, providing best care for our clients and our standard of treatment being evidenced by continually updated outcomes.
Breathe offers a stepped care approach using 5 levels of treatment package, ranging from intense complex needs, through to aftercare and recovery maintenance. The transition through the different levels of treatment is determined by a collaboratively working clinical team regularly undertaking risk assessments, based on the clients physical, mental and emotional health. Multi Disciplinary Team meetings are held regularly with a team of clinical practitioners, specialised in eating disorders and associated mental health, to discuss and review the client’s progress and individual needs.
Working with the belief and experience that full recovery is possible, our team aim to promote empowerment, independence and improved quality of life for each individual.
Breathe’s recovery focused way of working, is a benefit to NHS providers and commissioners, as Breathe’s outcomes evidence a reduced impact on inpatient and community services and therefore reduce costs for local government.
The close collaborative working within our clinical team and appropriate clinicians such as the clients GP, ensures that the transition through the different levels of care and through to discharge is carried out smoothly and effectively, being transparent throughout to the client and all agencies involved. This collaborative working, whether it be only with the client or with family and carers too, is encouraged throughout treatment at Breathe Eating Disorder Service as we believe this is paramount for an individual’s journey to recovery and empowerment.
Please click here to see a flowchart of our stepped care programme (link to PDF of stepped care programme)
WEIGHT MANAGEMENT PATHWAY
This Obesity/Weight Management Programme will attempt to combine diet and exercise with other behaviour/lifestyle modifications with psycho-education i.e. self esteem building, body image etc. and therapies such as cognitive behavioural therapy, dietetics and physiotherapy in order provide clients with a comprehensive ‘weight management for life’ package as opposed to a ‘quick fix’ diet plan.
The main aim of the programme is to provide clients with the knowledge, information and support to allow them to successfully promote physical and emotional wellbeing towards sustainable change.
Levels of exercise, dietetics and psycho-education are bespoke and individualised i.e. an individual may be on Level 1 exercise programme and Level 2 nutrition/dietetics.
- The Weight Management Programme will consist of 3 levels of care
- The programme will be split into six week blocks
- An initial assessment will take place prior to commencement of the
- Progress will be measured and recorded weekly
- Progression through stages 1, 2 and 3 will be dependent on achievement of personal goals (i.e. individuals will either continue on the level they are currently on or move onto the next level)
- A follow up assessment will take place at the end of each six week block
Please click here for more information about our Weight Management Care Pathway (please link to weight management pdf)